Sometimes, it is better to negotiate your wage before accepting a job offer. As long as you can negotiate it politely, this will result in a better starting wage or benefits. Even though a counter offer job letter isn’t an official acceptance, it lets an employer know that you are about accepting it.
What Is a Counter Offer Job Letter?
This is a kind of letter that aims to negotiate a wage or benefits before you accept a job offer. Such a letter is very useful to prevent being disappointed for the starting salary. This letter should be addressed directly to the manager or HRD of a company.
How to Negotiate a Counter Offer?
Here is how to negotiate a counter offer:
- Know your value & the rate of industry for your position.
- Don’t rush it.
- Don’t forget non-salary benefits.
- Don’ push too hard.
- Don’t say too much.
- Know what’s really essential to you.
- Use a sample template in order to frame your request.
How to Create a Counter Offer Job Letter
There are a few steps of creating such a letter:
- You should greet the manager first.
- After that, you have to state what you want clearly before you accept the job offer.
- Then, you need to negotiate for a higher salary, various benefits, and the ability to earn commission on your sales.
- Close the letter with thanks.
- In the end, don’t forget to put your signature and name.
Tips to Create a Counter Offer Job Letter
There are some tips to consider when creating this kind of letter:
- State the reasons backed with research clearly.
- Besides that, communicate other job offers.
- Then, emphasize your own sought-after skills.
- In addition, formulate your wishes as requests rather than demands.
- Always use police & neutral terms.
- One more, edit & proofread it.
Dear Mrs. Tinny,
Thank you very much for offering me the medical staff coordinator position at your hospital. I’m excited to have an opportunity at this position. I’m also flattered that you consider me to be the best candidate.
I hope that we’ll be able to negotiate a higher base wage before joining the team. I’m looking for an annual wage of 52,000 dollars. I’m sure that this figure suits my skills & experience including my 10-year experience in the medical administration field.
Hopefully, we can meet and negotiate my wage soon. I can be contacted via phone at (111)-111-1111 and email at email@example.com.
Thank you very much for this chance. I hope, we will be able to finalize this negotiation as soon as possible. So, I can also join the team soon after the agreement is reached.
After you understand the counter offer job letter well, it is your time to practice writing such a letter on your own. We have provided the guidelines and a sample as you can see above. So, if you need the reference, just feel free to follow the sample above. Hopefully, this will help you a lot.