An unemployment appeal letter aims to ask to reconsider the denial of unemployment benefit to the sender of the letter. It is sent to the Employment Development Department of the State of California. It explains why the sender is sure that his/her unemployment benefits were denied unfairly.
How Do I Appeal My Employment?
You can file the appeal in person. Alternatively, you may do it by mail at the local unemployment insurance office. Another option is to file your appeal by fax. It depends on your desire.
- 5+ text effect free psd template
- 10+ 360 feedback template
- 10+ 4 Year College Plan Template
- Still Interested in Job Letter and Its Sample
- 10+ 360 review template
What Do You Write in an Unemployment Appeal Letter?
If you want to write such a letter, make sure that it includes these information details:
- Full name
- Telephone/phone number
- Social security number
- The representative’s name & mailing address
- The reason for the appeal
- A copy of the decision you appeal
- The date of the decision
How to Write an Unemployment Appeal Letter
How to write such a letter can be done by following these steps:
- Start by stating your purpose concisely.
- Explain the specific action being appealed.
- State the name of the person who denied the unemployment benefits.
- Include the date the decision was made.
- Explain the chain of the events related to the termination of employment briefly & clearly.
- Make a list of the events chronologically.
- Include important facts.
- Mention any witness related to events.
- Explain why the EDD decision was unfair & why it must be rescinded.
- Thank the recipient for considering the appeal.
- Sign it.
Tips for Writing an Unemployment Appeal Letter
Writing such a letter should consider the following tips:
- Follow the proper format.
- Include all the needed information.
- Use calm & professional tone.
- Keep it concise, brief, and clear.
- Pay attention to grammar & spelling.
- Don’t forget to proofread it.
- Send it as soon as possible.
Unemployment Appeal Letter Sample
Now, let’s pay attention to the following sample:
Dear Mr. Mike,
I’m Martin and I’m appealing the decision of the EDD’s hearing officer, Howard Gates, on December 20th, 2020. I believe that the EDD denied my unemployment benefits unfairly and I’d like to appeal the decision.
I was relieved of my responsibilities as a paralegal with MNC Law Firm on December 2nd, 2020. The office administrator, Mrs. Venessa, said that due to the firm losing a big client, there was no sufficient work for me anymore and my position was eliminated. I was given a check for a week’s vacation that I hadn’t taken yet as I left the building.
In the following week, Marry Grice, also a paralegal, informed me that Mrs. Venessa had hired one of the law partner’s nieces and took over your duties. I’m sure that my dismissal was due to a nepotism case. So, I’ll appreciate it if you reconsider the denial of my unemployment benefits. Thank you once again.
That is all about an unemployment appeal letter. If you are in a similar situation, you have to write and send such a letter soon by following the guidelines and a sample above.