There are many reasons that a student performs in his/her college course such as an unexpected illness and excessive partying. A poor average of grade point may cause a student to lose scholarship and financial assistance. A financial aid appeal letter for bad grades will be useful to have a second chance.
What Is a Financial Aid Appeal Letter for Bad Grades?
This is a kind of letter used by a student to appeal a financial aid because of bad grades he/she got. By sending this kind of letter, you will have a chance to appeal financial aid. This kind of letter has its own format. So, you have to write it properly.
What Should I Say in My Financial Aid Appeal?
Here are what to include in such a letter:
- A salutation
- An address to a specified person
- A clear “ask” & a specific “why”
- Details of special circumstances
- Appropriate documentation
- An exact amount
How to Write a Financial Aid Appeal Letter for Bad Grades
Here is the step by step on how to write such a letter in the proper format:
- Make a salutation or greeting first.
- In the introductory paragraph, directly state your intention.
- After that, explain why you appeal financial aid clearly.
- Then, include all the needed details including your contact information.
- Close the letter politely.
- Sign & date the letter.
Tips to Write a Financial Aid Appeal Letter for Bad Grades
Writing such a letter requires you to consider the following tips:
- Understand the elements to be included.
- Follow the proper format.
- Be clear.
- Be factual.
- Be specific.
- Think about documentation.
- Stick to the point.
- Don’t try to manipulate the reader.
- Proofread it to avoid errors & mistakes.
A Sample of a Financial Aid Appeal Letter for Bad Grades
If you need an example, you can see this:
Dear Dr. Elnino,
I’d like to appeal my financial aid loss for bad grades. I’ll also explain my extenuating circumstances to you briefly. I believe that you can look at closer to my record for past 2 years & see that my last semester grades are unusual. I suffer from cold that led to bronchitis and pneumonia. I kept going by collapsed.
The doctor diagnosed me with double pneumonia so that I had to stay at the hospital for 2 weeks. After I return to the class, it was too near to the test. I’ve worked hard but it was not enough.
I’ve missed too many classes. So, my GPA drops significantly. Now, I’m completely recovered and I’m sure that I can get much better grades if you give me a second chance. I’ve attached the required appeal forms. Please consider my request. Once again, thank you very much.
That is all about a financial aid appeal letter for bad grades. If you are a student and face a similar situation, just feel free to use the sample above for your reference in writing such a letter to ask for a second chance to increase your grades.