It can be said that almost every day we are dealing with every kind of metric system. The amount of everything is important to have its own size so we know exactly how much or how long things are. Nevertheless, the measurement of sizes is different among countries and we all have to convert it to what we are usually familiar with. Hence it is important to understand the metric system chart are going to see more now.
What is the Metric System Chart?
Before we are going to deal with the metric system chart, we need to understand first the meaning of it. Basically, the metric system chart is an alternative method to measure certain tangible things which are used in most countries in the world, and that is including the United States. The metric system is based on combining a series of prefixes such as mili-, centi-, deci-, Deka-, hecto-, and kilo-, with other base units of measurement. The other base units can be gram, meter, or liter. Exclude these units, there are also units of measurement which stand-alone such as feet, ounce, square, gallon, and pints.
- Free Printable Note Card Template
- 9+ Magic unicorn silhouette vector template
- Business Card Template Printable
- 8+ Anything You Need to Know about Release of Liability Form Template
- Free Business Card Templates Printable
What Is the Purpose of the Metric System Chart?
- Knowing the exact amount of things.
With the existence of themetric system chart, it is easier for users to know and tell people exactly what we mean. This works similar to how we basically count on things. For an example, back when we did not know numbers yet, it was more difficult to create something. If we needed 3 apples, we could not say it directly. Instead, people might say that they need ‘this’ much while doing a certain hand gesture as the measurement. However, with the help of a metric system chart, we can say that we need one kilogram of apple. This helps people a lot, especially to communicate with other people about the exact amount they are talking about.
- Convert many kinds of measurements.
After the metric system emerged, there is another problem. People in different groups apparently use a different kind of metric. These groups of people we know today are grouped based on the country. To deal with this, people from different groups discussed to make the metric system chart we use these days.
What are the Variations of Metric System Chart?
- 1. Length and area: there are -meter with all the prefixes, inch, foot, yard, furlong, mile, nautical mile, hectare, and most of the previous with the square.
- Weight: the variations are -gram with all the prefixes, ounce, stone, pound (lb.), short ton, and metric ton.
- Speed: mile per hour, knot, foot per second, and kilometer per hour.
- Temperature: There are Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin.
- Volume: liter, US fluid ounce, US cup, US pint, US quart, and US gallon.
Guidelines for Using Metric System Chart
- Get to know the source of the metric system you are going to convert. Sometimes it is important to make sure the country using it.
- Convert the source to the target of metric system you are familiar with. This will help you to understand better.
- There are traditional ways to use metric system chartby multiplying or dividing the source numbers to certain fixed target numbers.