No matter why you resign from your teaching job, you have to go through the proper process professionally. In this case, you need to write a teacher resignation letter to principal. In fact, your principal is the first one you have to inform about your intention.
What Is a Teacher Resignation Letter to Principal?
This is a kind of letter informing that you, as a teacher, would like to resign from your current position as a teacher. This letter is sent to the school principal. It has its own format. So, you have to write it in the proper format carefully.
What to Include in a Teacher Resignation Letter to Principal?
The following parts or elements must be included in such a letter:
- A salutation or greeting
- An introduction or opening paragraph
- The body of the letter in 1 to 3 paragraphs
- A closing or concluding paragraph
How to Write a Teacher Resignation Letter to Principal
There are a few steps to follow when writing a letter for a teacher resignation:
- Start by greeting him/her formally.
- Create a brief explanation that you will not teach at that school anymore.
- State the effective date when your resignation takes effect.
- Recommend a trusted substitute teacher to take over your responsibilities if any.
- Let him/her know how you can be reached for discussion.
- In the closing paragraph, let him/her know how much you’ve appreciated working at the school.
- Sign and date your resignation letter.
Tips to Write a Teacher Resignation Letter
Here are general tips to consider when writing a resignation letter:
- Be concise.
- Keep it straight and short.
- Provide proper notice.
- Maintain professionalism.
- Arrange for an exit interview.
- Be certain about the decision of resignation.
- Proofread the letter before sending it.
A Sample of a Teacher Resignation Letter to Principal
The following sample can be used for your reference when writing such a letter:
Dear Mr. Walter,
I’m resigning from my current position as a teacher at MNC Middle School. I hope to inform you about it first. My family & I will relocate to another district soon. It makes me cannot continue teaching at your school. I’ll search for another job there. My last day of work is on January 15th, 2021. I appreciate your cooperation & patience.
To facilitate a smooth transition, I’ll please to transfer the needed information. I’ll also appreciate receiving a recommendation letter where I can use it to apply for a new job elsewhere. I’d like to meet and speak with you soon. Just call me at (111)-111-1111.
I’ve really enjoyed working with all the students here. However, I have to leave this school. My teaching experience here will be very useful for my future career. Thank you very much for helping me to be a teacher here. Wish you all the best!
That is all about a teacher resignation letter to principal. If you want to resign from your teaching position, just feel free to follow the sample above.