Before writing a cover letter to work as a public relations specialist, you should know some important aspects and elements first. Besides, you must know what responsibilities you have to do. In this article, we will briefly review some of the qualifications of the position and the example of a public relations specialist cover letter that you can use as inspiration for writing your format.
Are There Educational Standards to be A PR Specialist?
There are no specific educational requirements to become a public relations specialist. Most employers will choose who graduates from colleges who have bachelor’s degrees. Some of the education taken includes majoring in Public Relations, communications, business, journalism, and advertising.
For requirements in terms of experience, usually employers will look at prospective employees who have a portfolio with internship experience in the school’s communications department.
What Skills Should A Public Relations Specialist Have?
If you have the interest to become a PR specialist, you must have several supporting abilities such as the following:
- Able to write well, because you have to write press releases and speeches on many occasions. That way you have to master writing skills.
- Verbal communication, because you are required to be able to convey information well through the media, or anything.
- Able to listen well, because you have to listen carefully to the information conveyed by other people.
- Interpersonal, because you must be able to maintain good relationships with many people from various circles.
What Are The Responsibilities of a PR Specialist?
As a PR specialist, you will be responsible for several important jobs such as the following:
- Knowing the latest news in the media
- Observing social media
- Writing speeches for client needs
- Arranging for interviews, press conferences, or several other events
- Maintaining client identity properly
- Conducting evaluations through surveys or social media
- Evaluating promotions, advertising programs, and several other things that are in line with PR goals.
By looking at the qualifications and job description of a PR specialist, you will know whether the skills you have are in line with what the industry needs.
Public Relations Specialist Cover Letter Sample
Here is a simple format of public relations specialist cover letter that you can use as inspiration:
Dear Mr. Henry,
I am writing to express my interest in the Public Relations Specialist position at Central Media. I have read the qualifications you need, and I feel that my skills match what your industry requires.
I took an educational program that focuses on journalism. While at university, I also deepened my experience as a journalist and had a lot of hands-on experience writing press broadcasts, speeches, and presentations. I also have good interpersonal and communication skills, because I am used to communicating with many people from various backgrounds.
I was able to work in a team well, be it in the advertising or marketing departments. My ability is also supported by computer skills and sorting appropriate information to be presented to the public. I have the professional writing skills that I get from my internship and formal education.
Please call me at (222)-2233-222 to process further interviews.
That’s all our brief explanation about the public relations specialist cover letter and its sample. Hope it can help you to write your format.