If you are a Church’s pastor, sometimes, you may run in a situation where you want to resign due to health, a different ministry calling, etc. In this case, you need to write a pastor resignation letter. This is useful to explain the situation to the board member, your congregation, and fellow ministry leaders.
How Do I Resign As a Pastor?
Here is how to resign from a Church:
- First of all, request meeting with the pastor.
- Second of all, disclose details related to resignation.
- After that, return all the belongings of the Church.
- Last but not least, hand in resignation letter.
What to Include in a Pastor Resignation Letter?
There are a few elements that must be included in this kind of letter:
- A salutation
- An opening
- A brief explanation of your intention
- The date of your resignation
- Your contact details
- A closing
How to Make a Pastor Resignation Letter
Here is how to make such a letter properly:
- Make a greeting
- State that you want to resign.
- Provide the date of your resignation.
- If any, it is a good idea to state your replacement.
- Include your contact information.
- Promise that you will still give your best in your last week(s).
- Give thank once again.
- Sign and date the letter.
Tips for Making a Pastor Resignation Letter
Writing such a letter requires you to consider these important tips:
- Follow the proper format.
- Use good grammar.
- Pay attention to spelling mistakes.
- Keep it formal, polite, concise, brief, and understandable.
- Don’t forget to proofread it to avoid mistakes and errors.
- Give your reasons sincerely.
- Use our sample for your reference.
Pastor Resignation Letter Sample
If you are looking for a sample of a letter for a pastor resignation, let’s pay attention to the following example below:
Dear Mr. Garry,
I’m writing this to inform you that I’ll resign as a pastor at this Church. The Lord impresses on my heart for the need to minister to the brothers & sisters in Africa. I have to leave for Tanzania on January 15th, 2021. So, my resignation will take effect on that date.
I hope that each of you will enjoy health and prosperity. I’m pleased to recommend Jonathan Baker to replace my position. If you want to contact me, just feel free to call at (111)-111-1111 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. After I’m in Tanzania, I’ll give my new address soon.
I’ll still serve the congregation as usual in my remaining weeks. I really appreciate your understanding in this matter. I also pray that this letter finds you well. I’m looking forward to hear you directly. Wish you all the best.
Yours in Christ,
Pastor Joel Peter
That is all about a pastor resignation letter. If you are a pastor and you want to resign from the Church, what you have to do is to write such a letter. After understand and paying attention to the sample above, I hope you can write it on your own properly.