Knowing the right business memo format can be quite helpful especially if you want to compose a professional memo to discuss work projects. You also need to consider the fact that different people may have different purposes and interpretation on reading the memo. Of course, it would be great if you can learn about the basic facts.
Business Memo and Its Usages
You have to remember that readers have different aims when reading the memos. The reactions can be:
- They need to make a policy and also decided actions, and everything is based on the recommendation
- They need to get specific evidence or information to understand the policy and the decided actions
- They need to have the data and information to justify the decision
- They want to get the professional sense regarding your judgment and ability
In general, there are 3 different types of memo readers, despite whatever business memo format you are using:
- The readers reading the executive summary only
- The readers skimming the whole memo, looking for details (which they are interested in) and key points
- The readers reading the whole document, looking for details supporting its recommendations and claims
How to Compose an Efficient Business Memo
If you want to compose an effective business memo, here are the things you should do:
- Put yourself in the recipient’s shoe. Who will get the memo? What do you expect after reading the memo – what kind of action do you expect after it? What kind of information will the recipient look or search for from the memo?
- Once you have put yourself in the reader’s shoes, you can compose the right structure, content, and style – and it helps guide you in the business memo format.
- Be sure to compose a memo that is direct, easy to understand, and brief without missing the main points.
- The main point should be presented first. If you want the recipients to understand the contents and have a complete understanding of the memo, you should present the major point at the beginning. If the memo is about the solution to a problem, the recipients would want to know about the answers and the solutions – and they won’t bother waiting for a long time reading to get the answers at the last page.
- Be sure to remain professional. No matter how close you are (personally) to your boss or team members, you should maintain professional conduct and behavior when writing a memo. A business memo requires a formal style – it has its own standardized model. You want to maintain such a professional flair even when it is concerning your dear members. You should be able to separate professional business with personal matter.
- Be sure to mention specific subject so the recipients would understand the topic they are being given. Instead of writing ‘Calgary’s Trip’ (which is quite broad and general), why not writing ‘Funds Management for Calgary’s Trip’. It narrows the subject and he recipients would undersand the given topic – or what expected from the memo.
You can always consult reliable and trusted sources when it comes to finding the legit examples or templates for business memo format.